This is a rich and savory soup that’s perfect for the weekend after Thanksgiving. It makes use of leftover turkey and vegetables but provides a rich hearty soup that everyone will love. We achieve this by creating rich stock from the turkey carcass and then pairing it with a rue made out of turkey fat and flour. The create a rich silky base for this soup.
Makes 2-3 quarts 45 minutes hands-on time 3 hours total
Recipe Ingredient List
- Leftover turkey carcass from Thanksgiving
- 5 quarts water
- 2 cups of turkey stock or chicken broth
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots rough chopped
- 2 stocks of celery rough chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 fresh parsley stems with leaves
- The above stock yielding approximately 2 1/2 quarts
- 1/4 cup turkey fat (or 4 tablespoons butter)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 carrots chopped medium
- 3 celery stocks chopped medium
- 1 small onion chopped medium
- leftover vegetables from thanksgiving (see notes)
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- Salt and pepper
- Approximately 1 pound leftover turkey cut into bite-size pieces
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Create the ultimate soup stock. Cut the turkey carcass into smaller pieces. Place turkey parts, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf, 2 cups of turkey stock, 5 quarts water into stock pot. Place on high heat until it begins to boil. Turn down to medium heat to maintain a strong simmer. Cook for approximately 2 hours. Strain through a fine mesh into a large bowl. You should yield approximately 2 1/2 quarts of liquid. If less you can add water. Place back into pot and keep on low heat. Note: It’s important to keep this stock hot for the next step.
- Melt 1/4 cup of turkey fat over medium high heat in a dutch oven or large soup pot . When it’s hot slowly stir in the 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Heat for 4-5 minutes until it darkens slightly. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of hot stock until combined. Then slowly pour remaining stock continuing to whisk.
- Add in chopped carrots, celery, onion and any other uncooked vegetables you are using (i.e. green beans, broccoli). Cook on medium for 10 minutes.
- Add egg noodles to the pot. Add any cooked left over vegetables you are using. Keep heat on medium and stir occasionally. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the egg noodles are soft.
- Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste. Add leftover turkey meat. Let soup stand for 5 minutes before serving. Add chopped fresh parsley leaves.